A few weeks ago when I was in Toronto I came across the company Leaves of Trees. What got me first was the packaging (always a sucker for packaging), then of course the scents. But what eventually made Goods Shop take on the brand was the ethical nature and transparency of the company. Here is a little excerpt from the Leaves of Trees About Us page.
You should know that the following things are important to me:
- to conduct my business ethically, including sourcing materials and dealing with customers. If you ever have any questions or concerns about my products please contact me and I will do my best to meet your needs and answer your questions. Your satisfaction means more to me than your money.
- to produce the best quality product possible based on organic and fair trade sources wherever possible
- to use the most non-reactive packaging available and to minimize packaging waste
- to support other local small businesses and local artists.
I think that you will enjoy my products if:
- you enjoy fine quality skin care
- you appreciate simple modern packaging that is reusable and/or recyclable
- you are conscious about your health and you read labels
Leaves of Trees has signed the Just Beautiful Pledge with Environmental Defence to promise that none of the following substances are added to Leaves of Trees products:
- Artificial Musks (nitromusks such as musk xylene, musk ketone)
- Parabens (ethylparaben, methylparaben, butylparaben, propylparaben)
- Phthalates (dibutyl pthalate, DEHP, DEP)
- Petrolatum (petroleum jelly)
- Formaldehyde Releasing Agents (quaternium-15, 1,4-dioxane, DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea, imidazolidinyl urea, methenamine, sodium hydromethylglycinate)
- Sodium Laureth & Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
- Silicone Chemicals (cyclomethicone, cydotetrasiloxane, cyclopentasiloxane, cyclohexasiloxane)
- Coal Tar Derived Colours (paraphenylenediamine (PPD))
- BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole) & BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene)
The company is wildly impressive. A customer who came in over the weekend after hearing that we'd started carrying the line grew up with the founder of Leaves of Trees and told me that she actually goes to the Moroccan women's collective that produces the Argan oil frequently - so she spends time with and knows the people who make it. All this to say, we're stoked to have such a beautiful and beautifully minded apothecary line in the shop.
Leave a comment